Cobblestone Farm Association :: The Booths (1860-1880)
Print Close Window

Horace Booth purchased the farm in 1860 from Ticknor’s widow. In keeping with nineteenth century custom, Horace passed the farm to his son, Nelson, wife Sophia, and their son Walter.

Throughout their tenure, the Booths greatly enhanced the property. By 1880, the farm consisted of some 400 acres extending as far east as Platt Road. Nelson’s interests in horticulture were evidenced by his nursery and addition of 15 acres to the Ticknor apple orchard. He was also a fancier of thoroughbred racing horses and constructed a basement barn to house them.

While remaining the focal point, the 30-year-old cobblestone farmhouse underwent renovations that exhibited Booth’s grand vision. A circular carriage drive flanked by sugar maples trees was created in the front yard. Complementing the new Italianate style porch, they installed a two-tiered iron fountain which drew water from a nearby spring. The Booths left the farmstead in 1880, leading to another chapter of its story.

 

Printer-friendly page
Original Web Page Address:

Site: © 2002-2017 by: Pierian Press Web Services | Hosted by: Stratton House Inn
Content: © 2004-2017 Cobblestone Farm Association. All rights reserved.