|Cobblestone Farm Association|
|A Self-Guided Walking Tour of Historic Cobblestone Farm|
[This self-guided tour soon will be published in a brochure format available at a kiosk at the Farm’s parking lot entrance. It will enable guests to interpret the Farm from the outside of the existing buildings. A map of the property soon will be posted on this site, as well.]
1. Start at the Kiosk
Coming into the Farm from the fields (parking lot), tour this historic site by following a counter-clockwise route via eight explanatory stations around the property. See today’s museum site and clues to what was here in the nineteenth century.
Note the original barn foundation at the parking lot’s north end, backing up to the Buhr Park pool.
2. Log Cabin
Circa 1835, moved from Willis in southeastern Washtenaw County.
Ann Arbor Parks & Recreation Department’s base of operation for the Pioneer Living Program, a year-round day camp for school-age children (994-2928).
3. Animal Barn
A reconstruction of an earlier barn on the site; visit the chickens, guinea hens, and ducks live here the year round; goats and sheep in in the summer.
4. Orchard and House Garden
The kitchen garden was usually attended by the wife and children. Herbs are planted in the south end, so plowing in the main section each year would not destroy them.
5. Cobblestone Farmhouse
The portion of the ell closest to the main house shows form of the original clapboard built by Ezra Maynard, the property’s first owner, moved in 1844 or 1845 and incorporated into the ell. .
Dormers on the roof indicate the original house forms.
Scanning from front to back on the west side you will see the privy, wash shed, wash porch, shed, pantries, kitchen, and dining room before you reach to cobblestone portion.
Note the bell on the roof, used to call in farm hands for their meals. The cobbles on the side walls are laid in straight row patterns.
6. At the Fountain
When the house is open for tours (Sunday afternoons), enter by the front door and note the grand entry hall.
Booths family’s fountain was added between 1860-1880 and turned on only for special events.
Front cobbles are laid in a herringbone pattern. Note how the planting of trees still indicates the outline of the Booth family’s circular drive.
See if you can find evidence of a front porch attached to the front façade.
7. East porch
The rear wall of the house indicates a third pattern of rock faces.
Note the outside cellar door hatch.
East porch is a main entry to the barn yard.
The open shed at the north end was one of the earliest garages forms, but was used for tool storage and deliveries.
Milk pantry door for milk cans.
Note how the shed wraps around the privies and even provides a one-holer to the outside.
8. The Farm Yard
Tools stored in the shed.
Smoke House was reassembled here and used for smoking meats at butchering time in the fall to preserve food for the winter.
The original Chicken Coop is to be replicated in this area soon.
Educational play yard for school groups: build log houses, walk on stilts, spin hoops.
Open space for pitching party tents.
9. The Big Barn: Cobblestone Center
Restrooms, day care programs, rentals for parties, weddings, receptions, meetings.
For more information, call 734/994-2928.Training sessions for docent/guides by appointment:
| Home |
| Events | Giftshop | Contact | Site Map | Admin |
Site: © 2002-2021 by: Pierian Press Web Services | Hosted by: Stratton House Inn
Content: © 2004-2021 Cobblestone Farm Association. All rights reserved.