Cobblestone Farm Association
 
Michigan  
  Go to Related Society
 

The Ticknors
The Booths
The Campbells
Walking Tour
Time line
Errors and Terrors
Lincoln Logs
Cabin demolished
Moving the cabin
PLP
Can you name them
Stephen Mills
Stephen Mills story
Mary Campbell
Pitchforks
Marsh Hawks
RCC - 1929 Diary
Photos well documented
1869 Horace Booth letter
Historic or Historical
Log Cabin mystery
Best Rice Popovers
Cobblestones and Memories
HABS
HABS

Change Font Size:
Increase font size Decrease font size Restore default font size
 The Campbells (1881-1972)

William Campbell, a Scottish immigrant who had taught school and ran a farmerís cooperative story in Ypsilanti, purchased the farm in 1881. Gaining renown for his purebred Durham cattle and sheep, he implemented a system of crop rotation and greatly extended the apple orchard west of the house. Three generations of Campbells worked the 225 acre farm and kept the house essentially unchanged for 91 years.

Never fully recovering from a disastrous fire which gutted the farm outbuildings in 1924, son Clair Campbellís heirs sold much f the farmland for postwar housing developments. The Joseph Buhr family bought 39 acres north and east of the house and gave it to the City of Ann Arbor for a park in 1955. Siblings George and Mary Campbell sold the farmhouse and last 4 1/2 acre parcel to the City of Ann Arbor in 1972. Throughout the years they have been instrumental in providing both artifacts and oral histories that enrich the site.

Jump to top of page  Top Link to this page  Link to this page