Cobblestone Farm Association
 
Michigan  
  Go to Related Society
 

The Ticknors
The Booths
The Campbells
Walking Tour
Time line
Errors and Terrors
Lincoln Logs
Cabin demolished
Moving the cabin
PLP
Can you name them
Stephen Mills
Stephen Mills story
Mary Campbell
Pitchforks
Marsh Hawks
RCC - 1929 Diary
Photos well documented
1869 Horace Booth letter
Historic or Historical
Log Cabin mystery
Best Rice Popovers

Change Font Size:
Increase font size Decrease font size Restore default font size
 The Ticknors (1835-1860)

The Ticknor-Campbell House was originally the home of Dr. Benajah Ticknor, a surgeon with the United States Navy and an avid diarist. A native from Connecticut, he spent early adulthood in Ohioís Western Reserve practicing medicine. There he also met and married his wife, Getia Bostwick, a school teacher. The quickly developing Michigan Territory offered affordable property which prompted Ticknor to settle here. His brother, Heman, a farmer in Pittstown, New York, also interested in this area, brought his family to Washtenaw county in 1835.

Acting on his brotherís behalf, Heman purchased 183 acres in Pittsfield Township that included a small frame house, barn and orchard for $1,500. Heman, his wife Eliza, father-in-law, and their six children crowded into primitive quarters until the cobblestone house was completed in 1844.

In addition to becoming a political leader in Washtenaw County, Heman oversaw a successful farmstead which produced cereal grains, corn, hay, livestock, wool, butter, cheese and honey, valued at $10,000 by 1850.

The two Ticknor families lived together for short periods of time between Banajahís assignments at the Boston naval hospital and voyages to the Orient. Retiring in 1854, Benajah, Getia, and two adopted daughters lived on the farm until his death in 1858. The surgeonís extensive classical and medical library was given to the University of Michigan. His seven volume journal is housed in Yale Universityís Sterling Library.

Jump to top of page  Top Link to this page  Link to this page